SAIA, n. o., was authorized by the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic to hold an extraordinary selection of scholarship holders in the National Scholarship Programme for stays in the summer semester 2010/2011. The deadline for applications is 24 November 2010 16.00 CET (Central European Time).
The stays have to be carried out by:
- students: between 1 February 2011 (at the earliest) and 30 June 2011 (at the latest);
- PhD students, researchers and university teachers: between 1 February 2011 (at the earliest) and 31 August 2011 (at the latest).
The exact duration of stay must be specified in the acceptation/invitation letter.The selection result will be communicated to the applicant by e-mail by the end of December 2010.
Other administrative procedures associated with the scholarships in this call (issue of decrees on granting of scholarship/agreements on granting of scholarship, method of payment and reporting about the stay) will be handled by the Ministry (directly or through an authorised organisation) after the selection.
Establishment of the National Scholarship Programme for the Support of Mobility of Students, PhD Students, University Teachers and Researchers was approved by the Government of the Slovak Republic in 2005. The National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic is funded by the Ministry of Education of the Slovak Republic.
The National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic is intended to support mobility of foreign students, PhD students, university teachers and researchers to stay at Slovak universities, research institutions and non-governmental organizations conducting research on the basis of an invitation.
Types of scholarships
a) Scholarships for foreign university students (enrolled at least in the 6th semester) to take part in Master study over a period of 1 semester at Slovak universities.
b) Scholarships for foreign PhD students to take a part of PhD study over a period of 1 to 7 months at Slovak universities or research institutes.
c) Scholarships for foreign university teachers and researchers over a period of 1 to 7 months to carry out teaching or research at Slovak universities, research institutes or nongovernmental organisations conducting research.
Citizens from following countries can apply for scholarships
a) European Union member states – Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom,
b) other countries participating in the Bologna process (listed are only countries that are not stated in item a) – Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Georgia, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Montenegro, Norway, the Russian Federation, Serbia, Switzerland, the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Turkey, Ukraine,
d) Canada, Central American countries, Latin American countries, Mexico, the United States of America,
e) Australia, China, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, the Republic of South Africa, the Republic of Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam.
f) Due to the mobility nature of the programme applicants cannot be considered if they have been studying, teaching or researching in Slovakia at the time of submitting their application.
The Scholarship Programme does not support:
a) foreign students and PhD students intending to enrol or accepted for entire Master or PhD studies in Slovakia, specifically those who are already studying in Slovakia and would like to cover a part of their costs from the National Scholarship Programme;
b) foreign university teachers and researches who are already teaching or researching at Slovak universities and research institutes;
c) citizens of the Slovak Republic studying, teaching or researching at foreign universities or research institutes;
d) foreign applicants accepted for other scholarship programmes in Slovakia (for example Visegrad Fund, Erasmus, CEEPUS, bilateral agreements, etc.).
The scholarship is designated to cover living costs (accommodation, boarding, etc.) of a study, research and teaching stay of foreign applicants at Slovak universities and research institutions. The applicants can ask their host institution to assist them to arrange their accommodation and necessary documents regarding the stay in Slovakia, or they have to arrange it by themselves. The Scholarship Programme does not cover the travel costs to and from Slovakia.
Amount of a monthly scholarship
a) university students
b) PhD students
c) university teachers:
lecturers with or without a PhD degree
1 000 EUR
young researchers (< 4 years of experience)
PhD holders (or > 4 years of experience)
senior researchers (>10 years of experience)
1 000 EUR
The on-line application system at www.scholarships.sk opens 6 – 8 weeks before the deadline. The application form is accessible only after the on-line application system is opened. In order to submit the on-line application, it is necessary to fill in the on-line application form (in Slovak, English, French, Spanish or Russian version), attach all required documents (in .doc or .pdf format) and press the “submit” button.
Applications must be submitted on-line at www.scholarships.sk and documents marked with asterisk (*) (see the List of required documents that must be attached to the on-line application form) must be sent by post and received by the deadline at SAIA, n. o. The submitted documents must be originals.
Documents must be received by deadline at:
SAIA, n. o.
Námestie slobody 23
812 20 Bratislava 1
Applications deadline: 24 November 2010 (until 16:00 CET) – for summer semester 2010/2011
List of required documents that must be attached to the on-line application form by foreign students and PhD students applying for a study/research stay:
· structured Curriculum Vitae,
· motivation letter,
· detailed study programme in case of students (incl. date of arrival and period of stay),
· detailed research programme in case of PhD students (incl. date of arrival, period of stay and detailed programme time schedule),
· two recommendation letters provided by applicant’s university teachers in case of students, one recommendation letter provided by applicant’s supervisor in case of PhD Students,
· confirmation letter from a sending university certifying that applicant is a full-time student enrolled in min. 6th semester, in case of a PhD student a confirmation certifying enrolment in a PhD study (*),
· certified copy of a Bachelor’s diploma or Master’s diploma and a certificate of a state exam (if any),
· admission or invitation letter from a host university or research institute in Slovakia proclaiming commitment that applicant will be enrolled in a study or research programme (incl. period of stay). The admission or invitation letter must be printed on official letter head paper of the host institution, including a signature of the person in charge and a stamp. (*)
List of required documents that must be attached to the on-line application form by foreign university teachers and researchers:
· structured Curriculum Vitae,
· detailed teaching and/or research programme (including date of arrival, period of stay and detailed programme time schedule),
· invitation letter from a host university or research institute in Slovakia (incl. period of stay). The invitation letter must be printed on official letter head paper of the host institution, including a signature of person in charge and a stamp. (*)
(*) The documents must be sent by post and received by the deadline at SAIA, n. o. The submitted documents must be originals. The original admission or invitation letter from the Slovak host university or research institute can be sent by post from the host institution in Slovakia directly to SAIA n.o.
Selection procedure of applicants from abroad
The selection committee, appointed by the Minister of Education of the SR, carries out the selection of scholarship holders.
SAIA, n. o. will send the e-mail notification of granting or refusing a scholarship to all applicants within 8 weeks after the application deadline.
SAIA, n. o., Námestie slobody 23, 812 20 Bratislava 1, Slovak Republic
Jana Rehorovská, Programme Co-ordinator
Tel.: +421 2 544 11 426 (436)
Fax: +421 2 544 11 429